Malkow's Lookout, Smithers BC

Forum to discuss all aspects of walking and rambling

Malkow's Lookout, Smithers BC

PostPosted by Cronus » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:55 am

Just came back from a hike about 45min ago or so, from Malkow's Lookout in Smithers BC.

Unfortunately there's really nothing to take a picture of up there. It's just a big hill with 2 towers at the top (one's a cell phone tower, but not sure what the other one is for).

The hike is a little difficult and not wheelchair friendly. If you bring young kids along you'd need to help them along. With infants, I would recommend a pack as you wouldn't be able to bring a stroller up there.

It takes the average of about 45 minutes or so to get to the top. Although the hill isn't photogenic in itself, you get a 360 degree view of the valley, and can often get some great sunset shots up there. I've taken a few shots up there and also decided to experiment with my exposure settings.

At this time of year it can be quite mucky and soupy, but is often dry during the summer.

That being said here's one of the pics I took up there.

One downside though is there are no bathroom facilities but there are trees up there if you get desperate.

It's a pretty steep climb especially the second half of the trail, but a lot easier going down. When you first start the trail you walk through a field then some bushes. After about 10-15 minutes or so you come to a road. The first part of the road is quite level but after the second gate (you pass through 4 gates: 1 to get into the field, one by the bushes, and 2 on the road) is when it gets quite hilly. However, it's rewarding once you get to the top and relax before you head back down. Especially on a hot day be sure to bring some water.

For the difficulty lvl though, I'd give it 4/5. There's one hike I've done last year that's beyond 5/5 difficulty.

Also, one nice thing about Malkow's Lookout is there are 2 picnic tables at the top, so on a good day it's a great place to have a picnic gathering it's not too overcrowded.
Cronus

Return to Walking and Rambling